Carl F. Bucherer is a company Swiss of watches based in Lucerne .
Since its creation in 1888, the company is the exclusive property of the Bucherer family In 2015, the company is led by a member of the 3 th generation of the family, Jörg G. Bucherer, as chairman of the board of Administration 1 .
Carl F. Bucherer watches are distinguished by their additional functions, such as chronograph , flyback function, tachometer or tourbillon , as well as displays and indicators, such as large date and day, reserve walking, viewing 24 hours of the moon phases, three time zones, calendar and perpetual calendar 2 .
In 1888, Carl Friedrich Bucherer opened his first luxury watch and jewelery shop in Lucerne, Switzerland. In 1919 he launched his first collection of women’s watches in the Art Deco style . It is one of the first watchmakers to incorporate wristwatch system, even revolutionary at the time 3 . Beginning in 1948, the company concentrated its activity on sports chronographs, whose dial is adorned with a large display of date 4 .
Between its beginnings and 1968, Carl F. Bucherer manufactured nearly 15,000 certified chronographs of high precision, propelling the company among the top three manufacturers of these specific timepieces in Switzerland. In 1969, the company integrates a Swiss consortium which has the aim to develop and manufacture the first movement quartz wristwatch, the Beta 21 5 >.
1976 marks the arrival of the third generation at the head of the company with Jörg G. Bucherer. In 2001, the brand Carl F. Bucherer repositioned and launched the collection of watches Patravi 5 . In 2005, the company filed a patent for the Patravi TravelTec watch single-pole mechanism, which allows simultaneous display of three time zones 6 .
In 2007, Carl F. Bucherer acquired the company Techniques horlogères appliquées (THA), located in Sainte-Croix which will take the name of Carl F. Bucherer Technologies. This acquisition allows the company to research, develop and produce its own manufacturing movements, as well as its own modules for the additional functions of its models. Thus, the following year, the company launched the CFB A1000 manufacturing caliber equipped with a peripheral rotor 7 . In 2014, the Manero PowerReserve is the first model Carl F. Bucherer with a laser signature that ensures its authenticity and quality 8 . As of that date, all the brand’s models are equipped with this technology 9 .
In 2013, Carl F. Bucherer celebrates his 125 th anniversary with an international exhibition featuring more than 200 watches that have marked the brand’s history. The company also created four limited edition watches for the occasion: the Manero MoonPhase, the Manero Tourbillon, the Alacria RoyalRose and the Patravi TravelTec FourX. A book was published for this anniversary, “Celebrating 125 years of Swiss History of Time”, an additional commemorate the history of the company 4 .
In order to increase its production capacity, in 2002, Carl F. Bucherer left his workshops in Nidau to settle in a larger production site in Lengnau , in the canton of Berne 10 , 11 . In 2015, Carl F. Bucherer announced the reinforcement of its manufacturing capacity by adding a new production site in Lengnau. This operation aims to optimize production processes and the value chain, as well as to increase the scope of its vertical integration 12 .
In 2015, the company sells about 25,000 watches a year 13 .
The CFB A1000 caliber is the first reliable peripheral rotor movement. The rotor is made of tungsten 14 . By turning in one direction or the other, the peripheral rotor provides the energy necessary for the mechanism to function, while allowing the entire movement to be unveiled. The A1000 caliber is equipped with the patented “Dynamic Shock Absorption” (DSA) providing effective shock absorption 15 .
At BaselWorld 2016, Carl F. Bucherer presents the CFB A2000 manufacturing movement. The A2000 retains the same characteristics as the A1000 rewinding mechanism but its frequency has been increased from 3hz to 4hz “for better precision and a new balance-spiral increases its resistance to shock-induced disturbances”. The A2000 has been COSC Chronometer Swiss certification for its high performance 16 .
Beginning in 2014, the manufacturing movements of Carl F. Bucherer are protected from counterfeiting by special laser technology. Developed by the Swiss company Mimotec SA, the CLR- LIGA process prints a unique signature on the surface of the watch movement, using diffractive nanostructuring. This signature can only be authenticated by means of a specific laser scanner 9 , 17 .
The Carl F. Bucherer watches are divided into five collections 18 :
- Patravi: Sophisticated mechanical watches 19
- Manero: Elegant watches with a complex mechanism
- Adamavi: Classic luxury watches
- Pathos: Luxury watches for women
- Alacria: Women’s Jewelry Watches
Partnership with the Swiss Football Association
In 2014, Carl F. Bucherer signs a partnership with the Swiss Football Association and offers each player from the Swiss Football team a Patravi ScubaTec ASF watch, a special edition for the World Cup played on year 20 . The logo of the association appears on the bezel at 6 hours, while the back of the casing of each watch has a unique engraving the name of the player who shows up 21 .
On 1 st July 2016, Carl F. Bucherer is designated “Official Timekeeper” of the Swiss national football teams for a period of four years 22 . As part of this partnership, Swiss players wear exclusively Patravi ScubaTec SFV watches. The press conference announcing the partnership was given in the presence of Stephan Lichtsteiner , captain of the Swiss national team and the famous player Granite Xhaka 23 , 24 .
- ↑ ” Carl F. Bucherer: Tradition combined with innovative strength ” [ archive ] , Watchoogle
- ↑ ( en ) « Swiss Watch Manufactory » [ archive ] , Carl F. Bucherer
- ↑ ” 125 Years of Carl F. Bucherer ” [ archive ] , International Watch Magazine ,
- ↑ a and b ” Interview with Mr. Sascha Moeri, CEO of Carl F. Bucherer ” [ archive ] , Watches International 2014 , Tourbillon International
- ↑ a and b ” Into The Deep With The Carl F. Bucherer ScubaTec ” [ archive ] , Revolution ,
- ↑ ” 10 Years of TravelTec ” [ archive ] , International Watch Magazine ,
- ↑ ” Carl F. Bucherer intends to remain an exclusive brand-Sascha Moeri, CEO ” [ archive ] , Wthejournal,
- ↑ ” Exclusive Laser Signature Designates Carl F. Bucherer Originals ” [ archive ] , International Watch Magazine ,
- ↑ a and b ” Fighting Replica Watches With Hidden Laser Images & Nanostructuring ” [ archive ] , Forbes ,
- ↑ ” Carl F. Bucherer: Mit Personifizierung die Welt erobern ” [ archive ] , HandelsZeitung ,
- ↑ ” Carl F. Bucherer: from Nidau to Lengnau ” [ archive ] , Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry,
- ↑ ( en ) WorldTempus, ” Carl F. Bucherer: The new Manufacture in Lengnau is operational ” [ archive ] ,
- ↑ ” In Conversation With Sascha Moeri, CEO, Carl F. Bucherer ” [ archive ] , Luxury Society,
- ↑ ” Collection 2016/17 ” [ archive ] , Carl F. Bucherer , p. 46
- ↑ ” Carl F. Bucherer’s New Technology ” [ archive ] , International Watch Magazine ,
- ↑ ( in ) ” Carl F. Bucherer Introduces CFB A2000 ” , International Watch Magazine , ( Read online [archive ] )
- ↑ ” Tell STOP to counterfeit … ” [ archive ] , Mimotec SA
- ↑ ” Collection ” [ archive ] , Carl F. Bucherer
- ↑ ” Kosmopolitisches für Weltreisende von Carl F. Bucherer ” [ archive ] , Neue Zürcher Zeitung ,
- ↑ “König Fussball” regiert an der Basler Uhrenmesse [ archive ] , Neue Zürcher Zeitung ,
- ↑ ” Argentina vs. Switzerland FIFA World Cup Matchup: Leo Messi ‘s Audemars Piguet Takes On Diego Benaglio’ s Carl F. Bucherer And More » [ archive ] , Forbes ,
- ↑ ( en ) « Official Timekeeper of the Swiss Football Team » [ archive ] , Carl F. Bucherer,
- ↑ ( in ) ” Carl F. Bucherer: Official Timekeeper of the Swiss National Football Team ” [ archive ] , Worldtempus,
- ↑ ” Bucherer misst die Zeit von Xhaka und Co. ” [ archive ] , Jungfrau Zeitung ,