The Parker Vacumatic fountain pen was launched in 1932, and would come to sell the Parker Duofold, the bestseller of the time. The pen was originally marketed as the Golden Arrow, a reference to the new arrow clip, but has again been replaced by Vacuum Filler in reference to its action of filling the ink tank. The Vacumatic presented a brand new filling mechanism that took 5 years to develop at a cost of $ 125,000. Parker boasted of the model to be the first self-filling bag without which, although not quite true, the filling mechanism was still a great innovation. By using a diaphragm rather than a bag, the entire barrel can be used as a reservoir. The main mechanisms are essentially similar to those of previous button fillers, such as the Duofold, when the piston depression pushed on the rubber bag and chased the air (creating a vacuum) and when the rubber returned to its natural shape, Ink was sucked pen to replace the air. The difference was that the previous button was replaced by a large piston (about 4 mm) that was used to operate the diaphragm.
The diver could be locked in the down position with a thumb twist and is called the Lock Fill, or Twist-Fill. Although the pen was available in several sizes and colors, the most recognizable Vacumatics had alternately horizontal bands of pearly and clear celluloid. These clear strips allowed the user to see the ink level in the barrel. Several generations of Vacumatic have been produced. The pen remained Parker’s high-end product until the launch of the 51 in 1941. The Parker Vacumatic was eliminated in 1948 but remained in production in Canada until 1953.