Macniven and Cameron Ltd., later known as Waverley Cameron Ltd., was a printing and stationery company based in Edinburgh, Scotland. The company was best known for its feathers, the “Pickwick”, the “Owl” and the “Waverley”, which were sold under doggerel advertising:
In 1770, Nisbet MacNiven established a paper manufacturing business in Balerno, outside of Edinburgh. The company quickly diversified into stationery and moved to the premises of Blair Street in Edinburgh’s Old Town. In the 1840s, brothers John and Donald Cameron became involved and the company became Macniven and Cameron. The feather “Waverley” was invented by Duncan Cameron, another brother, and was unusual in having a flipped point, making the ink smoother on the paper. The “Waverley” was named after the Waverley novels of Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832), which were still very popular at the time. The new pen was initially manufactured by Gillott and others until the company bought a factory in Bordesley, Birmingham, in 1900. It then manufactured its own feathers, fountain pens and stationery printed until 1964 when the factory closed. Macniven and Cameron also made pens called “Pickwick”, “Owl”, “Phaeton”, “Nile”, “Hindu” and “Commercial”. The company has filed several patents for its fountain pens.