Baselworld is a worldwide watch and jewelery trade fair held in Basel , Switzerland .
Its first edition dates back to 1917. The fair is generally held during the last weeks of March on an area of 141,000 m 2 . It brings together about 1,500 exhibitors 2 from 40 different countries 3 for about 150,000 visitors 4 .
The exhibition is the main event of the watch and jewelery industry 3 .
On April 15, 1917, the first “Swiss Basel Sample Fair” (muba) 5 , 6 , 1 was held . A total of 831 companies from various branches of the Swiss economy, including the chemical and banking industry, insurance, transport and shipping industry, exhibit in the city’s casino. The 6000 m 2 of exhibition space contain also an area dedicated to watchmaking and jewelery. The watch brands Tissot, Thommen, Longines and Ulysse Nardin are among the first exhibitors, but only 29 companies out of 800 exhibitors come from the watch and jewelery sector 7 .
In 1923, the first halls were built where Hall 1 is today. The Federation of the Watch Industry Federation (FH) is also founded this year. In 1926, for the first time, a market hall was dedicated exclusively to the watchmaking and jewelery industry. [ Ref. desired]
In 1931 the first “Swiss Watchmaking Fair” was held during the muba, in an independent pavilion 6 , 1 .
In 1934 the opening of Hall 5 (in front of the Musical Theater ) took place. Then in 1953, the construction of Hall 2 ended with the installation of a monumental clock. Hall 6 (now the Musical Theater ) was built in 1957 and Hall 3 was completed in 1964.
In 1973, the first European Watch and Jewelery Fair (FEHB) 1 was held , and in 1983 it was renamed BASEL 6 .
The 1986 edition hosts, for the first time, exhibitors from non-European countries 6 .
In 1995, the fair changed its name to the “World Watch and Jewelery Show” 7 . Then in 2003, the show was renamed Baselworld, The Watch and Jewelery Show to highlight its positioning in luxury 6 . The construction of the Tower of the Fair is completed. With its 32 floors, it is the tallest tower in Switzerland. Today, it ranks second.
In 2007, Baselworld Reaches 100,000 visitors from over a hundred different countries 6 .
In 2016, Baselworld has received over 145,000 visitors from a hundred different countries and met 1,500 prestigious brands 4 . This edition also marked the 100th anniversary of the show.
Notes and references
- ↑ a , b , c and d ” Baselworld, one century to the time of luxury ” [ archive ] , on bilan.ch , (Accessed 17 March 2016 ) .
- ↑ Michel Jeannot, ” Baselworld, the big show of watchmaking ” [ archive ] , on lefigaro.fr , (Accessed 17 March 2016 ) .
- ↑ a and b Frank Declerck, ” Baselworld 2015: the year of the woman ” [ archive ] , on lesechos.fr , (Accessed 17 March 2016 ) .
- ↑ a and b ” Press release Baselworld – Baselworld 2017 ” [ archive ] , on www.baselworld.com (accessed 25 August 2016 )
- ↑ ” History of the muba ” [ archive ] , on muba.ch (accessed March 17, 2016 ) .
- ↑ a , b , c , d , e and f ” History ” [ archive ] , on baselworld.com (accessed 17 March 2016 ) .
- ↑ a and b At Baselworld, there are watches, jewelry and there are others [ archive ] , Le Temps , March 21, 2017