The Apple Watch is a connected watch unveiled onBy Apple .
It is unveiled at the press conference corresponding traditionally to the launch of new range of iPhone . It has been available for pre-order since April 10, 2015 3 and is marketed since April 24, 2015 4 , 5 . It can be paired with an iPhone . It can be recharged with a new induction connector or a base (not supplied).
In September 2016, Apple launched the release of a new generation of Apple Watch (Series 2).
Genesis and Presentation
The Apple Watch project would have started in 2008 in the utmost secrecy, as usual Apple [ref. Required] .
The rumors developed very early and the public expected the Apple Watch to be presented at WWDC 2014 . Apple has yet presented September 9, 2014 after introducing the iPhone 6 , the iPhone 6 Plus and payment prototype contactless apple pay announcing ” one more thing ” ( “one more thing”, a mantra used By Steve Jobs in his press conferences).
Tim Cook , CEO of Apple, made the suspense last by announcing an “entirely new” product , “the most personal product ever created” by claiming that it would be “the next chapter in Apple’s history ” .
Three days after its release, the Apple Watch exceeds 1 million sold 6 .
In October 2016, sales of Apple Watch still do not take off despite the new version released a month earlier. The latter does not arouse the enthusiasm of consumers. According to estimates by IDC, Apple has sold 4.2 million watches since the beginning of 2016 as much as in the last quarter of 2015. That’s about 8 million units since its commercialization. This is the entire market for watches connected, where Apple nevertheless remains the leader ahead of Garmin and Samsung, which is down in volume in the third quarter of 2016 compared to the same quarter of 2015 7 , 8 .
The Apple Watch is available in two sizes (38 and 42 mm high), three finishes (Watch, Watch Sport and Watch Edition). Designed by Jonathan Paul Ive 9 .
Facade and screen
The front of the Apple Watch features a Retina sapphire screen (Ion-X aluminosilicate reinforced for the Watch Sport), covered with a Touch Sensitive layer touch and pressure (Force Touch) 10 .
Back and Case
The housings are waterproof (from the Apple Watch Series 2 11 version ), the induction is reversed with a MagSafe magnetic connector 12 .
The case of the Apple Watch is 316L stainless steel 13 , its back is ceramic. The Sport Watch is made of aluminum alloy 7000 Series 14 , 30% lighter than the steel model. Its back is made of composite. One of the Watch Edition is gold 18 carat 15 yellow or pink, her back is ceramic.
Four sapphire lenses incorporating infrared diodes back to track the heart rate 16 .
A collection of twelve interchangeable bracelets is available in leather, steel or fluoroelastomer of various colors 17 .
Only the Sport model comes with two bracelets of different sizes. 18
Thanks to the “Handoff” function, the Apple Watch allows you to consult different contents such as e-mails, messages, cards, etc. It has 8 GB of physical memory and shares its data with synchronized iPhone. Thanks to Siri , it can be used to write messages and e-mails 19 .
Navigating the interface is based on a digital crown 20 and a touchscreen haptic response , and may for example send vibrations to the user for notifications or what direction to take 21 in the case of a GPS application.
The Apple Watch is compatible with Apple branded phones from the iPhone 5 from iOS 8.2 22 .
With Digital Touch , two users of Apple Watch can send drawings made on the screen or share the heartbeat, captured through the heart rate monitor on the back of the device and transmitted by haptic response 23 , 24 .
A trigger function for photos via the iPhone with remote display is integrated 25 .
The time is set at 50 milliseconds near 26 .
Apple Watch Series 1 and 2 (2016 models)
In September 2016, Apple launched the release of a new generation of Apple Watch.
Series 1 : features the original Apple Watch released in 2015, featuring a new Dual-core S1P processor running on watchOS 3. It comes in a single model, Apple Watch Series 1.
Series 2 : with a Dual-core S2 processor, a 2x brighter display than the Series 1, a sapphire crystal glass, a GPS, and is water resistant up to 50 meters . It comes in four models: Apple Watch Series 2, Apple Watch Series 2 Nike +, Apple Watch Series 2 Hermes and Apple Watch Series 2 Edition.
The Apple Watch Nike + is equipped with the Nike + Run Club application and special bracelets. The Apple Watch Series 2 Hermes, only changes in the design of the bracelets that are available in three main models: Clipper, Cape Cod and Space. There are other bracelets in different leathers and different colors.
Comparison of watches
|Collection||Apple Watch Sport||Apple Watch||Apple Watch Edition|
|Operating system||WatchOS ( iOS based )|
|Display Resolution||Flexible Retina display, 326 ppi density
38 mm : 21.2 × 26.5 mm, 33.5 mm ( 1.32 inch ) diagonal, 272 × 340 pixels
42 mm : 24.3 × 30.5 mm, 39 mm ( 1.5 inch ) Diagonal, 312 × 390 pixels
|Other releases||Taptic Engine , Loudspeaker|
|Dimensions (estimated)||38 mm : 38 × 32.4 × 12.6 mm42 mm : 42 × 36.4 × 12.6 mm|
|Composition of the rear||Composite||Ceramic|
|Screen||Reinforced Ion-X Glass||Crystal of sapphire|
|models||10 models||18 models||6 models|
Aluminum 7000 Series light anodized (silver, sidereal gray, gold, pink gold)15 bracelets:
316L stainless steel (polished steel, or black sidereal)15 bracelets:
Or 18 carats (yellow gold and rose gold)6 bracelets:
|Input methods||Digital crown, multi-touch, force touch , microphone, Siri , connected iPhone|
|Loading Methods||Induction Charging|
|connectivity||NFC , Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi 802.11b / g / n|
|sensors||Accelerometer , gyroscope , heart rate monitor , barometer|
|Compatibility||IOS 8.2 or later running on iPhone 5 and following|
It is equipped with an Apple S1 processor, a loudspeaker and a Taptic Engine 27 haptic response engine . The interface with the user is via the touch screen and the digital crown, to zoom or scroll elements, and also serves as a home button 28 .
The S1 chip embeds a series of sensors to monitor the physical activity of the user 29 . This data can be viewed via a suite of applications available on the watch and the paired device via Bluetooth to it 30 .
It can be used as a contactless payment method using the compatible Apple Pay system 31 .
Notes and references
- ↑ ( en ) « Apple Watch – Overview » [ archive ] , Official site, (Accessed 9 September 2014 )
- ↑ ” Some interesting details about the Apple Watch: resolution, screen, Retina, applications … ” [ archive ] , on Mac4Ever , (Accessed 19 November 2014 ) .
- ↑ ” Apple Watch classic, Sport and Edition: availability and price ” [ archive ] , Clubic , (Accessed9 March 2015 )
- ↑ ” The Apple Watch, set in April ” [ archive ] , ZDNet , (Accessed 28 January 2015 )
- ↑ ” Apple Watch: Release date, price, features … all about Apple’s connected watch ” [ archive ] , on Huffington Post , (Accessed 9 September 2014 )
- ↑ Jamal El Hassani , ” The Apple Watch exceeds a million orders in a weekend ,” Le Figaro , ( ISSN 0182-5852 , read online [ Archive ] ).
- ↑ Jérôme Marin, ” Apple Watch sales collapse ” [ archive ] , on siliconvalley.blog.lemonde.fr , (Accessed on 25 October 2016 ) .
- ↑ ( in ) ” Smartwatch Market Declines 51.6% in the Third Quarter as Vendors Platforms and Realign, IDC Finds ” [ archive ] , on idc.com , (Accessed on 25 October 2016 ) .
- ↑ ” LIVE. Apple unveils its connected watch ” [ archive ] , on Le Point ,
- ↑ Christofer Ciminelli, ” Test: Apple Watch 42 mm (steel strap) ” [ archive ] , on 01net.com , (Accessed on25 October 2016 ) .
- ↑ ” https://support.apple.com/en/HT205000 ” [ archive ]
- ↑ ( en ) ” Apple Watch will use wireless MagSafe charging ” [ archive ] , on The Verge , (Accessed11 September 2014 )
- ↑ ” Apple – Apple Watch ” [ Archive ] , Official Site (accessed September 11, 2014 )
- ↑ ” Apple Watch – Sport ” [ archive ] , Official Site (accessed September 11, 2014 )
- ↑ ” Apple Watch Edition ” [ Archive ] , Official Site (accessed September 11, 2014 )
- ↑ ( in ) ” Apple Watch uses four sensors to detect your pulse ” [ archive ] on The Verge ,(Accessed 11 September 2014 )
- ↑ ” Apple Watch: what differences between versions? ” [ Archive ] , 01net.com , (Accessed11 September 2014 )
- ↑ ” Apple confirms the peculiarity of Apple Watch Sport bracelets ” [ archive ] (accessed September 19, 2016 )
- ↑ ” Apple Watch, the connected watch makes its show at Colette … ” [ archive ] , ZDNet , (Accessed30 September 2014 )
- ↑ ” Apple Watch: an unusual design, but good finds ” [ archive ] , on Le Figaro , (Accessed11 September 2014 )
- ↑ ( en ) ” Apple Watch’s Walking Directions Buzz Your Wrist When It’s Time to Turn ” [ archive ] , Gizmodo , (Accessed 11 September 2014 )
- ↑ ( in ) ” Press Release – Apple Unveils Apple Watch ” [ archive ] , Official site, (Accessed9 September 2014 )
- ↑ ” Apple Watch – Features ” [ archive ] , Official Site (accessed September 11, 2014 )
- ↑ ( en ) ” Sharing Your Heartbeat Over Apple Watch Is the New Sexting ” [ Archive ] , on Mashable ,(Accessed 11 September 2014 )
- ↑ ” The Apple Watch, genuine iPhone extension, will have skins! ” [ Archive ] , Cowcotland.com,(Accessed 13 September 2014 ) .
- ↑ ” A watchmaking of prodigious precision ” [ archive ] , Official site (accessed February 8, 2015 ) .
- ↑ ” Apple Watch – Technology ” [ archive ] , Official Site (accessed September 11, 2014 )
- ↑ ( in ) ” Inside the Apple Watch: the Tech Behind Apple’s New Wearable ” [ archive ] , on Mashable , (Accessed 11 September 2014 )
- ↑ ” Apple Watch: pretty, smart, but still no use ” [ archive ] , on Les Echos , (Accessed11 September 2014 )
- ↑ ( in ) ” Apple Watch monitors your activity and workouts with two separate apps ” [ archive ] , on Engadget , (Accessed 11 September 2014 )
- ↑ ( in ) “Apple Watch [ archive ] works with Apple Pay to replace your credit cards” [ archive ] , on Mashable , September 9, 2014 (accessed 11 September 2014)